- At ULMA we have more than 15 years of experience in the design, development, verification and validation of solutions based on FPGAs for sectors such as rail, automotive, health, energy, defence or space.
- We tell you the benefits and reasons for choosing ULMA as your partner for the design and development of FPGAs.
The term FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) refers to general purpose programmable logic devices made up of blocks of logic whose interconnection and functionality can be configured at the moment using a specialized language. FPGAs are a kind of 'programmable hardware' that began to be developed in the early 80s and requires expert know-how in this matter. Qualified professionals are in high demand and this results in many companies expressing their need for professional support for the design and integration of FPGA-based solutions.
At ULMA Embedded Solutions we have been designing and developing solutions based on this technology for more than 15 years and helping our clients in the different phases of the product development process. The experience and specialization of our technical team allows us to accompany our clients in-house during their projects, offering different services such as the development of FPGA hardware, advice for the correct selection of FPGAs and developments for applications based on this technology.
These types of solutions are applicable to different sectors, including regulated sectors. At ULMA we have developed FPGAs solutions for diverse industries as the automotive industry (railways and signalling), communications (Ethernet, TCP / IP, Phone), multimedia (DVB, CI), space (ESA), medical equipment or for the energy sector.
Main benefits of using FPGA technology
Within an FPGA we can include microprocessors, video encoders, digital signal processing systems, network cards ... It is a device that can become whatever is needed at any time, so its range of applications is very large.
This brings us to what is probably one of the most outstanding characteristics of this technology: its wide flexibility, since these are devices that can be reprogrammed for a specific job or change its requirements after they have been manufactured. After this first point, let's see the main benefits of using FPGA technology:
- High processing speed provided by default by this technology.
- Reprogrammable devices. As we mentioned before, it is possible to reprogram an FPGA as many times as needed. After each restart of the devices, the set functions can be modified. This flexibility allows an engineer to download a file for a specific FPGA, and modify its behaviour changing that file.
- Development and acquisition costs are much lower. Among other aspects that optimize costs, the flexibility of this technology means that physical changes can be made without making expensive modifications to the board that supports it.
- Manufacturing and design time is also reduced. Deadlines are also optimized assuming a reduction in the total times of a company. In terms of design, for example, an OEM can ship an FPGA as soon as its initial design is finished and tested.
Why trust ULMA for the development of solutions based on FPGAs?
Due to our experience and specialization in this type of device, we are aware that FPGA-based implementations and developments are not an easy task and, in many cases, there is a lack of expert knowledge, technical resources or time to fulfil the planning. Therefore, trusting a partner who can provide that expert knowledge and previous experiences in the development of this type of solution may be the best decision. But why choose ULMA Embedded Solutions for the development of this type of solutions?
- We have a team of engineers with more than 15 years of experience in the development of FPGAs based solutions.
- Although FPGAs began to be used in the market in the mid-80s, nowadays it is difficult to find available professionals with experience in this technology.
- We are experts in its application in critical sectors, such as defence or aerospace, as well as in the automotive, rail or health industries.
- Certifications in regulations and different tools.
- Wide range of services, offering advice and execution of the project (hardware, implementation, simulation, test, certification ...)
- Flexible work methodology. Our team of engineers can integrate with our client's team or can work independently.
- Expert knowledge and experience with market leading FPGA providers such as Xilinx or Lattice
Our team of engineers specialized in FPGAs offers you experience, knowledge and the necessary services to develop your product, helping you to reduce development cycles and meet your objectives. Shall we talk?